The CUSP workshop series was founded in 2008 to provide an informal venue for interaction among the many researchers in the California semantics/pragmatics community; the workshop rotates among California universities. CUSP 8 was hosted by the Department of Linguistics at Stanford University. CUSP 9 will be hosted by the Department of Linguistics at UCSC in Autumn 2016.
Location and date
CUSP 8 took place on November 6-7, 2015 at the Center for the Study of Language and Information (CSLI; 210 Panama St, Stanford, CA, 94305-4101), Cordura Hall, Room 100. Wireless network access is available via the Stanford Visitor network and eduroam.
If you are planning to attend CUSP 8, please RSVP by Friday, October 23. This will allow us to plan for adequate refreshments. Coffee and snacks will be provided on Friday afternoon. We will also provide a light breakfast and lunch on Saturday, and dinner on Friday. Please indicate in your RSVP whether you plan to join us for dinner.
Crash space can be provided for students who notify us of their interest by Friday, October 23. We will do our best to accommodate everyone, with presenters receiving priority. We cannot guarantee space to anyone who contacts us after this date. Please be sure to specify any specific needs in your request.
- The Cardinal Hotel (downtown Palo Alto, a pleasant half-hour walk to CSLI)
- Stanford Guest House (probably the best value for the money, but the weekend and evening public transportation is iffy and the surrounding roads are busy)
- Stanford’s full listing of area hotels
- Caltrain is an inexpensive and relatively efficient way to get to and from the San Francisco or San Jose airports. The California Ave stop is near the Hotel California, and the Palo Alto stop is right downtown, basically across the street from campus.
UPDATE: The Caltrain schedule will be disrupted on November 7: there will be a bus bridge between Burlingame and San Mateo, and significantly reduced bike capacity. Details here. Please plan accordingly if you will be relying on Caltrain.
- Marguerite is the free Stanford shuttle.
- Payment is required for on-campus parking on Friday, November 6 until 4pm. Campus parking passes can be provided on request for those who will attend the entire Friday afternoon session. Please contact the organizing committee by Friday, October 23 if you will need one. We strongly encourage carpooling. For information on parking, see Stanford's parking information page.
CUSP 9 will be held at UC Santa Cruz in Autumn 2016.
- CUSP 1 was held at UCLA on May 23-24, 2009.
- CUSP 2 was held at UC Santa Cruz on November 21, 2009.
- CUSP 3 was held at Stanford University on October 15-16, 2010.
- CUSP 4 was held at the University of Southern California on February 3-4, 2012.
- CUSP 5 was held at UCSD on October 27-28, 2012.
- CUSP 6 was held at UC Berkeley on October 11-12, 2013.
- CUSP 7 was held at UCLA on November 7-8, 2014.
Please contact the organizing committee with any requests, questions, or clarifications.
We gratefully acknowledge financial support from the Department of Linguistics, the Center for the Study of Language and Information, and the School of Humanities and Sciences.