CUNY 2011 at Stanford University will be held in Cubberley Auditorium in the School of Education near the heart of campus.
Getting to CUNY 2011
Stanford is easily accessible from two international airports, San Francisco (SFO) and San Jose (SJC). Click here for information about transportation options from SFO and SJC. Stanford is also reasonably close to the Oakland airport (OAK), though ground transportation from there is considerably less convenient. Visit Stanford's Maps and Directions page for additional information.
We have made special arrangements with the following hotels:
- The Cardinal Hotel offers a conference rate
of $99 (plus tax) per night for regular rooms or $69 (plus tax)
per night for rooms with shared baths.
- The Sheraton Palo Alto has a conference rate
of $119 (plus tax) per night for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (March
24-26), but will charge $189 (plus tax) on Wednesday, March
- The Westin Palo Alto has a conference rate
of $149 (plus tax) per night for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (March
24-26), but will charge $219 (plus tax) on Wednesday, March
- The Stanford Park Hotel has a conference rate
of $159 (plus a $15 ''amenities fee'' and tax) per night for
Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (March
24-26), but will charge $229 (plus tax) on Wednesday, March
- The Stanford Terrace Inn has a conference rate
of $165 (plus tax) per night for rooms with queen beds and $170
(plus tax) per night for rooms with king beds. There is an
additional $10 charge for double occupancy. These prices include
breakfast and local shuttle service.
The following are some other hotels close to campus with reasonable rates.
- The Hotel California is a small
hotel near campus with 20 rooms and a Stanford rate of
$82 (plus tax) per night.
- The Stanford Inn is a small hotel near campus
with 17 rooms, ranging in price from $69 (plus tax) per night to $159 (plus
tax) per night for a two-bedroom suite.
- The Best Western Riviera is a small hotel near campus
with 37 rooms, with a Stanford rate of $119 (plus tax) per night for
rooms with one bed and $129 (plus tax) per night for rooms with
two beds. These prices include breakfast.
In addition, an organization called Hotels Combined is offering discounts
at some local hotels for our conference.
To and from the venue each day
All hotels listed above are within three kilometers of the
so walking is an option, although the weather forecast is for
cool temperatures with some rain. Hence most participants will
probably want to ride busses into campus. Stanford offers free
shuttle bus service on weekdays, and we have chartered
- Thursday and Friday mornings, 8:00am - 10:00am: Two
32-passenger busses will loop from Palo Alto onto campus, dropping
participants at the corner of Serra Street and Lausen Mall (a 2-minute
walk to the conference). One bus will start at the Stanford Terrace
Hotel at 8:00 and the other will start at the Stanford Park Hotel at
8:00. Both will pick up additional passengers at the Cardinal Hotel,
the Sheraton Hotel, and the Westin Hotel. Each loop takes 15-20
minutes. Because few participants are staying at the Stanford Terrace
or Stanford Park, only the first trip (at 8:00) will include
- Thursday evening, 5:30pm - 7:30pm: Two 32-passenger
busses will loop from Serra Street and Lausen Mall to the hotels
mentioned above. They will go to the Stanford Terrace or Stanford
Park only if passengers request it.
- Friday evening, 9:30pm - 11:30pm: Two 32-passenger
busses will loop from the parking lot behind Tressider Memorial
Union (the location of the party) to the hotels. They will go to
the Stanford Terrace or Stanford Park only if passengers request
- Saturday morning, 8:00am - 11:00am: The same arrangement
as Thursday and Friday, except that there will be three
- Saturday afternoon, 3:00pm - 7:00pm: Three 32 passenger
busses will travel the same route as the Thursday evening busses,
with two of them running from 3:00 to 6:00 and one of them running
from 4:00 to 7:00. Again, they will go to the Stanford Terrace or
Stanford Park only if passengers request it.
Stanford's Free Shuttle Service
Full schedules and maps of Stanford's shuttle bus service, known as the Marguerite,
are available here. The most useful components of
the Marguerite service are listed below.
- On weekdays, line P runs between the Palo Alto train station
(right next to the Sheraton and Westin Hotels, and an easy walk from
the Cardinal) to the main entrance to the university (an easy walk to
the conference venue). Busses run from 6:05am until 7:45pm, going
every 10 minutes during peak hours and every 20 minutes in the middle
of the day.
- Lines O and N run Friday evening from Tressider Memorial Union
around the periphery of campus, with stops at the Palo Alto train
station (right next to the Sheraton and Westin Hotels) and at
Lytton Plaza in downtown Palo Alto, two blocks from the Cardinal
Hotel. Each line runs every 40 minutes from shortly after 8pm
until after 1am, offering alternative transportation back from the
Parking for Attendees driving to the Stanford Campus
Parking on Stanford's campus can be challenging, but here are
the options for attendees who plan to drive to the conference:
- Park in the limited visitor parking areas near the student union or across from the art museum (See Stanford's parking information page), purchasing a permit from the nearby machines each day.
- Purchase day-use permits from Stanford Transportation Services that allow you to park in the regular A (more expensive) or C (less expensive) lots. These can only be purchased in-person at Transportation Services.
- Park for the day near one of our designated conference
hotels and catch
one of the busses described above.